Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Convento di San Nicola


Centro di Conservazione Archelogica is located here: http://www.cca-roma.org/en/node/313

After the drive out of Rome, we spent about 20-30 more minutes going up a steep and winding country road.  Sometimes the road would turn into a narrow alley, going between centuries old houses.  It was a miracle I didn't get carsick.  After one last hairpin curve, we found a dirt road which led to a driveway.
Even though I had seen pictures from CCA's website, nothing prepared me for the beauty and isolation of San Nicola. There really isn't too much I can say about this place which doesn't sound cliched, so I'll just post the pictures I took.
Shannon enjoying the sun and the view.
This reminded me of Virginia, or even Vermont.

The terrace where we spent nearly all of our spare time.
Up above was Prof. Stevens's window.
The sweetest smelling rose.  I remember Roberto coming up to it, inhaling, and exclaiming "Ahhhhhhh." That sums up Roberto!
Part of the original convent.
This church between the ruins and the renovated house was still used several times a year, but we never got to go inside.
The courtyard from the roof.
The courtyard trellis had white roses about to bloom and more grapes.


My adorable bathroom window looked out onto the courtyard fig tree.
I was able to get my own room; now it really felt like a bed & breakfast.






Wild poppies are everywhere in Italy.




So are happy little lizards (and small scorpions, but I didn't get a picture of any -- a good thing!).
Dinner on the terrace.
The morning we left I climbed up the little iron staircase to the roof to get some final pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment